[drivingpairs] Re: tandem question

  • From: "Jay Hubert" <jhubert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:44:00 -0700

Rachel, you are asking the right questions.  Let me take a shot at answering
them
for you.

I would use the Wilform for the tandem, unless you have ready access to
something
else.  Weight being the critical factor here.

Driving one handed:

I assume you mean driving using the Achenbach method.  This is definetely NOT
one
handed.  Only the base grip in the left hand makes it seem so, but the right
hand
is used for adjusting the reins.  I personally find Achenbach easier when
driving
dressage or a pleasure class or going down the road. In the speed classes,
cones,
Section E of a marathon, etc., I drive two handed.  I usually start out
Achenbach
even when working a single, and switch when the situation seems to warrant it.
So I recommend practicing both ways, and try switching back and forth.  It is
pretty easy to switch to two handed from Achenbach, hadred to go the other way.

It is perfectly permissable for you groom to dismount and stand near the head
of
your tandem leader.  By rule, he/she must not take any action that influences
the
performance of another entry, so the groom should stand quietly, and be ready
help if needed.

Reaching out to the leader with the whip is a skill that requires practice.
Catching and furling the whip afterwards is a little complicated, also.  It is
helpful to train your wheeler NOT to worry when the whip is overhead, but only
respond when it actually touches him/her.

Good luck at the show.  Let us know how you do!

FWIW

Jay E Hubert
Coffing Oaks Welsh Ponies
Galt, CA

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good
with ketchup.

And I STILL drive too fast to worry about cholesterol!