[drivingpairs] tandem question

  • From: Peter & Rachel Eldred <preldred@xxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 18:21:51 -0700

Okay, back to multiple driving stuff now.

I?m getting my tandem of VSEs going now, with possible hopes of driving them
in our local fall fair in the Pleasure Driving and Reinsmanship classes. If
I don?t feel we are ready when the day comes, I still think it won?t be time
wasted. ANY driving is good.

So I have a few questions. First of all, the only single vehicle that I have
right now is a Wilform jog cart (with a floor). It has a seat for two, but
it?s not very roomy. The horses love it because it?s light as a feather. The
fair is in a large hog fuel (bark mulch) ring, which they?re not really used
to as we drive mostly on the fields and roads around home. Should I try to
borrow a more traditional cart for these two classes or should I not worry
about it since it?s only a little show anyway? We?re always the only
multiple there, most of the others drive single Welsh ponies. I plan to
drive the two obstacle classes as a pair though, I may be partially insane
but not totally. I just thought it might be educational for the spectators
to see a tandem. Our announcer is always a good sport about explaining
things.

Second question: I?m trying to decide if I should practice one-handed or
two-handed driving more. So far I?ve been using two mostly, but I think just
for going around a ring the one-handed method would be efficient. I?ve tried
it a bit and can see the benefits.

Third question: In a pleasure driving class, is your groom allowed to
dismount and head the leader in the line-up? If so, should they be back in
the carriage when the judge comes along and asks for a rein-back?

I?ve pulled my tandem books out and am studying up again. The horses seem to
be getting the idea. They?ve been a pair all year so at first they wanted to
be beside each other. But one pop on the leader?s bum convinced him to get
out front. Fortunately he?s the very dependable experienced one. The wheeler
is greener, but loves to pull. Oh, one more question: is there any way to
touch your leader with the whip without your wheeler getting the idea to
speed up too? She hears the whip coming, I?m sure. I?m definitely going to
take my whip out several times and practice without the horses. I?ve been
using a lunge whip as the length is good (perhaps a bit long) but it?s darn
heavy to drive with.

The bug has definitely bitten me.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rachel Eldred