[drivingpairs] Re: pony mule and pony horse pair

  • From: "Black Dog Hill" <koenenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:14:40 -0600

Suzy,

I can see that being a good pair because the mule is the reliable one while
the pony is the unpredicable one.  In my case it's the mule who's the
beginner and could be unpredictable.  Mules are so much stronger than horses
that I'm afraid to hook him up to a pony horse because if he does anything
stupid he's liable to drag the pony around.  The only benefit is that mules
don't *usually* do anything stupid because their main goal is self
preservation and acting stupid isn't usually condusive to self preservation.
I guess having said that I've just reevaluated my fears and come to the
conclusion that hooking my inexperienced mule up to an experienced horse
probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

Cindy

---------------------
From: suztemple@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [drivingpairs] pony mule and pony horse pair
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:57:47 -0600

Cindy, I regularly hook my pony mule with a neighbor's Welch pony stallion.
They are the same height, though it is an odd looking team, they do well
together.  The Welch is a bit unpredictable, and will try to bolt, but my
mule, Bill, won't allow him to go anywhere.  Bill doesn't like to drive
single, so this works out great.  Bill will do all the work, though, if I
don't get after the pony. He is lazy, and smart, so he will try to get out
of work if he thinks he can.  Suzy in New Mexico