[drivingpairs] Re: I'm your 2nd worst nightmare

  • From: "Linda Cochran" <equyne@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:29:35 +0000

FWIW, I bought two single harnesses from Claudette Robinson of Country
Carriages and drive them as pair so I will share the differences I see.  #1
is the breastcollars (if that is what you use single).  The pair would have
a ring on the breast collar to attach the pole strap.  Now if I were sure of
the horses, I would purchase one of those huge caribeaner-type snaps that
would go around the breastcollar I have and hook my pole straps temporarily
to that.  To keep the breastcollar comfortable for the horse, I would then
put on a pad (if you don't customarily use one anyway).  The traces are the
same but you run them through the tugs/shaft hangers (which ever you call
it) to support them on the way to the singletrees.  I would also add a small
strap to the breeching ring to act as a trace hanger there as well.  Now of
the breeching.  I got two straps that fasten to the breeching rings but are
longer than the breeching straps that would normally wrap your shafts.
These new straps are long enough to reach the buckles of the breastcollar
and buckle in to the same buckle as (and under) the traces.  Be sure you
have a false martingale on the breastcollars so that when the horses stop,
the pole doesn't just pull the breast collars over their heads (but
breeching should stop that).  Now that is about it as far as the
differences.  I bought new breastcollars that are wider and heavier than the
single ones but if you have good quality single ones and they fit well, you
could make some arrangement like I suggested.  PLEASE note, I haven't driven
pair much and are just starting out again after a long dry spell so these
are only observations from my own limited experience and a summary of some
professional advice I recieved.  You have to know your horses and if you
believe this to be safe.  There was an article on this list about 6-9 months
ago about how to make a single harness work for pair so you should look that
up.  If you can't find it, let me know because I think I saved it somewhere.
Good Luck
Linda
Ocala,FL