[drivingpairs] Re: drivingpairs Digest V2 #137

  • From: Mike & Marjean McIntyre <Tenpenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "INTERNET:drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 20:07:25 -0400

Message text written by INTERNET:drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Who can briefly state what happened, who is going, who is not going...and=

bring =

us all up to speed.<

I am new to this list so I don't know if you have archives or not, but
briefly............

After a two year process of 10 selection trials,  there were three pairs
left standing so to speak.  Lisa Singer,  Larry Poulin,  and Mike
McClennen. =

Lisa won all 8 of trials she drove in and never scored above 140.  She ha=
twice finished in the top 12 at the World Championships, I believe having=

been to four.  Larry is a 6 time national champion, and I am almost certa=
in
a former member of a World's team.  Mike is new on the international scen=
e,
but he has earned the right to represent our country.  He is a quarterhor=
se
breeder from Texas, that is driving a pair of QH/Friesian crosses that he=

bred, raised and trained himself.  He consistantly placed second to Lisa
numerous times.  He has funded his race for the team by selling off land
that was a part of his farm in Texas.  This in not land, obvioulsy, he ca=
sell again next time and give it another try.  There were only three team=
left standing at the end, but it was because they were consistantly the
best and as it became clear to the others that they couldn't make the tea=
they dropped out. Because there were only three does not mean they are no=
quality teams.    All three of the pairs consistantly scored below the
qualifying score of 165.  =

The night before the selection committee was to meet for the official vot=
e,
 there were emails amoung the committee members indicating that the vote
was going to be 5 to 3 to send a team.  The US has NEVER not sent a team =
a World Driving Championships. That morning, at the beginning of the phon=
call,  three of the members were excused based on the fact that they were=

pony drivers.  A fact that obviously had been known by everyone from the
beginning,  not just that morning.  The committee proceeded to vote the w=
ay
Jimmy Fairclough wanted them to,  3-2 not to send a team, stating first
that they were not qualified, and then that they were not of the quality
that we wanted representing the US.  One statement that has been made is
that their dressage scores were not on a par with those in Europe, that
they needed to be scoring in the 40's, and specifically that Lisa was not=

in the 40's in Blainville.  Well, if they bothered to check,  Lisa ended =
up
with the 50. something because a brand new Canadian judge scored everyone=

20 points higher than the other judges, and in fact the two European judg=
es
had her in the low and mid 40's.  =

So no one is going, unless we can get this outrage turned around. =

If you would like more detailed information you are welcome to email me
privately, and I can send you the full posts from earlier in the week,  t=
he
names of the committee members, who voted how,  who got excluded at the
last minute, and where you can send letters to express your displeasure. =

Mr Balch had 80 letters yesterday morning alone, and he reading them, and=

has personally responded to some.  Quantity is a factor here, so send you=
letters in. =

Marjean =