[drivingpairs] Terminology: Pairs and Teams

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:08:17 EST

Dear Friends,
please except this post in the spirit it is written: It is NOT meant to talk
down to anybody, it is meant just as a little educational advise. Since this
is the PAIRS List, I think it's proper that we should know and use the proper
terms at least in that respect. Many folks in the know will respect you more
when you do and consider you greenhorns if you don't. In "carriage driving"
(which is what we do in CDE's)  two horses are a PAIR, and a TEAM means four
horses, also called then a FOUR-IN-HAND. It is different with draft horse
driving.
There two horses are a TEAM and four horses are a FOUR-UP.
So with mini's as well as many other horses, ponies, mules, donkey's, you
name it, of course often both styles are possible. You can go draft horse style
with draft harness and a  hitch waggon, and then your two animals can be a
TEAM. But if you drive with a "carriage" and light horse harness, I would call
two
a PAIR.
Hardy