[drivingpairs] Pairs Harness

  • From: kathy robertson <goodhors@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:57:32 -0800 (PST)

> > We have a Zilco that we use quite a bit, several
> sets of unused older leather
> > harness mostly of the light breed show type and
> show harness that stays in
> > the house.  To get started, could I just purchase
> breast collars with rings,
> > a pair rein and other bits?

Yes, with PAIR breast collars or neckcollars with
hames, you can just change a few things to adapt
single to pair.

Breeching strap going around the rump, take off the
holdback straps that fasten on the shafts.  As
suggested, a wide strap from the breeching ring to
trace buckle will work.  The breeching strap would be
under the trace when buckled onto the breastcollar
buckle or the tug buckle on hames.  Won't work well if
hames have short tug buckles like for a single.  If
those are all you have, you might want to make up
Yankee breeching, that would fasten onto a ring on the
false martingale at the girth.  Breeching must have a
stable anchor point, to work.  Short tugs would change
things too much if you buckled breeching into it.
Long tugs on hames would of course fasten to the
straps on harness saddle to hang straight.  Would look
like the long trace hames, neck collar, pleasure
harness shown on calendar April picture.  January
sleigh picture shows short tugs, but not how her
breeching works.  "Looks like" it comes up to tug
buckle, but you can't see it.  I think they are making
breeching fasten down to the girth/false martingale.
Traces run thru carrying loops at girth to keep them
from sagging.
  Pieces parts are sure less expensive than buying
new.
Breast collars are more adaptable to a variety of
horses than neck collars.  Horses need neck collars to
fit well, but their bodies keep changing with work, so
gets expensive to own a lot of collars.  You need to
measure from one side to other side on harness saddle,
for correct pair breastcollar length.  They hang from
the strap right under the rein terrets.  Strap hangs
down from breastcollar to overgirt.  Too short or long
breastcollars, can pinch or twist angle traces pull
from.  I am not sure you can adapt too much from show
harness.  Straps are usually thinner, saddles narrow
for show carts.  Get LARGE terret rings so reins slide
freely.  Getting a rein hung up in the ring, is an
accident most of the time.  You need traces that fit
vehicle.  Pair traces are usually shorter than
singles.  You gain a foot on pair breastcollars or
long tugs.  Get NEW pole straps.  These are your
brakes, don't take chances.  Get rein width to fit
your hands, heavy is not always better.  See if you
can find the German Driving Book.  Good stuff on rein
length.  Achenbach style is about the easiest to use,
buckles adjust up by your hands.  However reins have
to be correct lenth for YOUR sized animals, to what
vehicle you drive, so that affects where the coupler
buckle will fall.  Eleven holes punched for adjustment
on each rein.  No conway buckles draft style, need
regular bridle buckles for coupler.

You might want to go back and skim thru the past
months letters in this group.  There is a lot of good
information on fitting harness, pole length and rein
adjustments.  Could be the answer to a question you
had not thought of yet!  Keep asking, we are glad to
share information and experiences.

Kathy Robertson