[drivingpairs] Re: Information and Advice Requested

  • From: "Bettyann Seablade" <shadowbrook@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:34:06 -0400

To Bruce

I drive a pair of 10.3 Shetland Mares to a Jeff Day Carriage weighing about
250 lbs.  Add our navigator and driver to that plus the harness and
equipment carried and we have a total of about 550 lbs.  The ponies each
weigh about 350 lbs.  They do fine pulling this when in tip top condition.
In mud it gets difficult and doing hills is tough when out of condition.
When properly conditioned they are fine.  My girls are now 17 and 19. They
have been using this carriage for 8 years now.  We have done prelim CDE's
and Horse Driving Trials.  We also do pleasure shows.  I  am currently
working on training a new pair of Shetland Geldings who are 11.1 and are 13
and 14 years old.  I think they will be stronger for CDE work.  But, the
girls have great heart and will be hard to beat.  I have to watch that they
don't overwork themselves are they will just keeping going and going.  My
one mare is the leader of the pair and she is a workaholic.  I have to push
the other mare to be sure that their is equal work being done.  Shetlands
are very strong and great workers.  They also love to be together rather
than driving single.  To them it is a party.

I have been driving Shetlands for over 20 years now.  I started with my
daughter's outgrown mare and currently own 8 ponies.

We were champion last fall at the Saratoga Driving Trial. Now, they usually
do very well in Dressage but we had our problems in the beginning.  I found
that the lazy mare was causing all the problems.  Once I corrected that we
started doing great in Dressage.  Last year we had a 37.1 in Prelim.  I hope
we can accomplish the same this year.    Betty