[drivingpairs] Information and Advice Requested

  • From: Bruce Inch <ouas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:13:31 -0700 (PDT)

I have recently joined this list to find out more about pairs driving.  I
currently have a 7 yo 14.2hh Welsh/Haflinger cross that I have driven
extensively as a single, primarily for pleasure, although I have also entered
some one day Combined Driving events with him.  I fear that his competitive
future is severely limited by his absolute abhorrence to water.
I also have a 2 year old American Shetland pony who is just starting to drive,
and is an absolute joy to be around.  He has outstanding manners; is stylishly
gaited; and posesses a great work ethic.  I have been so impressed with him
that I amconsidering purchasing his yearling full sister to make a future
pair.These ponies mature at around 11.2hh, and weigh I would guess around 400#
max.  Now come the questions:

1.  Are ponies of this size and type potentially competive in CDE's hauling a
200#  driverand a 150# navigator?

2.  Are marathon carts available for a pair this size?

3.  Even used, in the interest of keeping the investment down?

4.  What is recommended for a vehicle at the intitial training level?

Some background on myself:

62 year old man with more than 30 years experience with horses...primarily
standardbreds, as a professional trainer and driver.  Still learning the
nuances of driving an animal that is not bent on going 35 mph while trying to
disengage your arms from your shoulders.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Inch
Maine