[drivingpairs] Brand new experience

  • From: "Kenneth H. Williams" <lonestr7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:34:46 -0600

Well, last night was one of the best nights of my life.  For the first
time since having brain surgery in December I performed with my 4-up
Percheron hitch.  It was the opening ceremonies for the Trinty River
Trails which is a national jumping competition.  We opened (kind of) the
show with a patriotic theme then raised the flag for the National
Anthem.  Although my strength is still far from pre-surgery status, I
found that the talent and ability to kept my boys in check hasn't left.
I still have a long way to go to get back to my 6-up but then I only
started with one some 14 years ago.
I recently sold my wheel team of my six (a 29 day stay in the hospital
and a battery of surgerons will tend to cut down on disposable income)
so I had to use a horse that I've only driven three times in 2 years.  I
put him on the wheel so I could keep an eye on him.  I really didn't
need to because he performed beautifully.  When demonstrating a 360
degree turn (we call it spin the top) the horse on the inside of the
tongue during the turn will have the tongue up againist his legs.  If
the team in front of this horse turns too tight the tongue can very
easily push this horse's legs out from under him.  This horse had the
tongue up againist his inside legs the whole time but stood his ground
and performed brilliantly.  A good horse like this can make a bad driver
like me look good.  I think I'll keep him.
For more detail on my experience last evening visit my website and view
the newsletter page.
Ken
http://www.lonestarhitch.com