[drivingpairs] Re: Book

  • From: "Anewton" <anewton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:48:28 -0500

I know that on the list there are people who are fairly new to carriage
driving. The Essential Guide to Carriage Driving is a wonderful book
answering 100's of questions many of which are posted to the list daily. It
was written by the list owner Jaye-Allison Winkel and Robyn Cuffey who also
wrote Retraining the Standardbred Horse.  The following are the titles of
chapters
Chpt 1     Welcome to Driving
Chpt 2      Types of Driving (which includes a nice section on Recreational
Driving)
Chpt 3      Selecting and Caring for your Driving Horse or Pony
Chpt. 4     Understanding How Harness Works
Chpt. 5     Selecting and Caring For Harness
Chpt. 6     Selecting the Bit
Chpt. 7     Selecting and Caring for Your Cart or Carriage
Chpt. 8    Driving Safety
Chpt. 9    Harness Fitting and Putting To
Chpt.10    The Basics of Driving
Chpt. 11    Beyond the Basics (accepting the bit, bending , etc.)
Chpt. 12   On the Road Again (driving on the road)
Chpt. 13    Preparing for Competition
Chpt. 14    Sleighs and Sleighing
Chpt. 15    Driving Multiple Hitches
and a last chapter I can't seem to find because I am looking at a rough copy
of the book not the finished copy.

    Anyway if you are a student, trainer, someone starting out in driving or
just wanting to become more knowledgeable  this is a great book for you.
Lots of pictures and hand drawn illustrations that make the book very user
friendly. I think this book fills a niche that is missing in the many
driving books available today by providing lots of helpful information and
not concentrating on one type of driving. You can go to
www.carriagedriving.net or www.trot-on.com to get a copy.

Ansley