[dps-chat] Re: Speaking of WW1

  • From: Archie <archive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 06:42:46 +0800

Thanks Sharon. A wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

It puts me in mind of a story told about one of Liz's relatives who lived in South Australia. Appropriate at this time because of the anniversary of the Australian nurses killed by the Japanese in WW2.

Dora was repatriated to Australia with shell shock and discharged but rejoined and was back in service in India. Very determined and very very brave.

Anyway, the story, as found on the thrice blessed Trove.

In 1936, following the death of King George V on 20^th January, the Advertiser published on 22^nd January;

/A.I.F. Nurse's TributeSister Dora Smith, formerly of the Adelaide West District section of the D.T.N.S., who served with the A.I.F. overseas in the Great War from 1915 until demobilised in 1920, and who was in England for a period after the termination of hostilities, yesterday related an incident which is greatly treasured in her memory, she said that, accompanied by two other nurses and two Aussie diggers, she was passing Windsor Castle, and noticing the flag flying entered the grounds to inspect its beauties. While there the King happened to notice the party and instructed a footman to invite them to visit the castle. After, having been shown over the castle by the footman they were invited to stay to afternoon tea, at which King George, Queen Mary, the Prince of Wales, and the Duke and Duchess of York were present. His Majesty expressed his pleasure at meeting the visitors, evincing a keen interest in Australia./

Regards, John

---