[dps-chat] Speaking of things gleaned from Trove etc ...

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ALL <dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:35:26 +0800

Not wanting to offend anyone but I've changed the subject line as this reply to the current thread is not just related to WWI ...

I've been thinking again ... I'll have to stop going on those 1 hour walks <g>.

Sharon and John's yarns have been great and highlight not only the treasures we can find in the TROVE (is that where the name came from ... treasure trove?) but as Frank pointed out, the additional info is out there but is often not pushed along with the official line.

Back when we were celebrating 100 years of ANZAC the story of Sharon's subs was featured quite a bit, but not the extra bit about earlier near misses and incidents.

At the moment we are celebrating the anniversary of the bombing of Darwin and apart from a few murmurs about Japanese air attacks off the coast of northern WA and secret aussie forces stationed up there, we are never told what we are hearing now ... namely, that the Japanese attacked Australia countless times and in various places to our north.

Humble family and social historians can do the research with the best of them and as long as we use tried and tested means of establishing our facts, our research is just as good, and often better than the official stuff as we often have the inside story circulating within our families.

I encourage everyone to use this forum to highlight some of these personal discoveries and the way you went about uncovering it ... the facts and tactics can be very useful and educational for others too!

While talking about TROVE, how many people use the 'edit and save' function for the text translation that appears to the left of the newspaper image?

I do as it has been my belief that that's the info that the search screens at the front of the site trawl through as we apply our filters. Many cases failed to reveal HELLIER articles for me of late as the word did not appear as HELLIER in the text translation until I'd corrected it. After I had, it seemed to have altered things and new searches revealed the corrected article in the search results.

Is this the case, or am I being deluded and wasting a lot of time correcting and editing the data?

If it is the case, could I encourage others to take the time and do the deed.

I find it disappointing that after I've corrected it under my login details, there is no way for people researching the same name after me to track me down and compare notes ... is there a way to get around this? I have some thoughts, but they're probably not practical.

Finally ... I'd love a cleverer person than me to share some secrets about how they make TROVE work even better for them ... recently I was looking for ZINKLER in the wheatbelt and couldn't crack the case until I searched under ZIN and ZINK as the name was hyphenated and the LER was on the next line!!!!

Cheers for now, ROB!