[dps-chat] Re: SEARS - Moorabbin market gardeners

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MALCOLM <dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 12:42:51 +0800

G'day MAL ...

On 5/12/2016 12:10 PM, Malcolm Sears wrote in part:

Market Gardens and Moorabbin is part of the history of the Sears family. William Sears (expiree from Tasmania) settled there in

The early 1850s and started a market garden. Family stories relate he used to at one time pay his labourers to go and wreck the

Chinese market gardens (opposition) and if they were caught he would pay their fines. He brought with him his wife who he had marriedin 1850 in Melbourne ...

So taking up everyone's time with my ramblings was of value afterall, apart from the background education that John's gleaning <g>.

My little excerpt came from "Moorabbin: A Pictorial History 1862-1994" by John Cribben.

I own a copy of the book but it's a rarity these days.

However ... I am a member of the "I Grew Up In Moorabbin" group on Facebook and a chap recently offered me a pdf version of the same book, which is real cool, if you want to do a keyword search of the text.

Your SEARS name isn't in the index, but it does appear in an appendix entitled: 'Extract from Rate Book, 1862'

William Sears seems to have owned land in Keys Road on which he had a weather-board house (WB?) valued at 14 pounds and also had W.E. Holdsworth living in a tent on his land valued at 5 pound 10 shillings.

If you'd like a copy of the pdf file, let me know and I'll arrange something.

Cheers, ROB!!
rnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxx