[dps-chat] New Subject - three different witnesses prove a point

  • From: "Rob Nelson, Perth WA" <perthdps@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dps-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:00:49 +0800

G'day All ... note the new subject line <g>.

I do try and change my messages to 'meaningful subject lines' but I suspect others, in their eagerness to reply AND be part of the conversation, may miss that point.

The thing I'm always embarrassed by are my mistakes and typos ... thanks everyone for picking me up on [ T'othersiders ] ... AND I should have had 1863, not 65 in the Bendigo subject line.

Like Lindsay, my WA interests are pretty thin on the ground, so I hope the general ALL continues to indulge me as I continue my tour around the globe ...

What started out amid the San Francisco earthquake and traveled to the disease ridden hills of Nebraska, came back to North Fitzroy for a while where we spent some time with the SDAs in the tent meetings and conventions, including a new age dietry lesson, before heading off to Bendigo during and after its gold rush.

Today we head off to Otago and Greymouth in NZ where gold was rushing people off their feet.

I knew my Eli Hellier headed over there as he sired a few of my ancesters there (in Dunedin & Greymouth) ... but I was surprised to find Eli and Thomas Hellier's missing brother John George turn up there, too!

With Rosemary's help I came up with three references to GEORGE Hellier who I had in my tree as dying in Maldon, VIC in 1886.

As Rosemary helped me realise ... I was wrong, yet again.

Have a read of these three accounts and see why:

---->

Grey River Argus, Issue 55, 19 May 1866, page 1

THE Undersigned hereby gives notice that the partnership hitherto existing between himself and George Hellier, in the Star Shooting Gallery is on this day dissolved by mutual consent.
The business will for the future be carried on solely by
ELI HELLIER.
Greymouth, May 14, 1866.

---->

Grey River Argus, 12 December 1871, page 2

DEATH.
Hellier. — Drowned in the Lagoon near Greymouth, on the 9th December, John George Hellier, native of Bristol, England, and late of Sandhurst, Victoria, aged 38.
[Bendigo papers please copy.]

---->

Grey River Argus, 9 December 1913, page 7

During all the years I was in Greymouth there was only one swimming fatality. The circumstances were as follows: Old Eli Hellier kept a Pub down Arney Street, about half way to the bridge. His brother (when he had not seen for many years) came to visit him one Christmas time. They went out to the springboard for a swim. The day was warm, and when they got to the shed they were rather hot. The brother being ready first, took a header off the board, but never came up. They found his body five or six days after in deep water at the head of the lagoon. The body was in exactly the same position as when he dived off the board.

<----

To help me accurately correct my entry in Legacy, Rosemary provided this final bit of info:

---->

New Zealand, Death Index, 1848-1964
Name:     John George Hellier
Death Date:     Jan-Feb-Mar 1872
Registration Place:     Greymouth, West Coast, New Zealand
Folio Number:     121