[dokuwiki] phpmailer passwords and filenames

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 09:30:57 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy peoples,

I'm planning out my PHPMailer solution.  Some SMTP servers require a username
and password.  Is it safe to store this in plaintext in a conf/ configuration
file?  SMTP requires that it be base-64 encoded, but MD5 is irreversible.
.htaccess protects this directory, but does it do so for everybody?

If this isn't a good idea, what should I do instead?  Should I allow the user
to specify a configuration file outside of the site directory?  (Perhaps a
conf/ file would optionally redirect the PHPMailer plugin to another directory?)

Also, what name should I give to the PHPMailer conf/ configuration file?  I'd
like the file to be specific to PHPMailer to allow users to switch among
mailers just by changing $conf['mailer'], should other mailers eventually
arise.  What name should I give the PHPMailer DokuWiki plugin?  Where should my
splitbrain write-up suggest the plugin be put?  I presume it doesn't belong in
lib/plugins.

I could have conf/phpmailer.php and stubs/phpmailer.php, complimenting
PHPMailer's own file PHPMailer.php.

Do we need a special directory for stub plugins?  A stub is a translation layer
between two applications.  Perhaps PHPMailer is just the first and other kinds
of stubs are down the road?

Thanks!
~joe