[dokuwiki] PHPMailer/DokuWiki mail_send diffs

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:28:15 -0500 (CDT)

It appears that PHPMailer and DokuWiki's mail_send() functions differ as
follows:

- PHPMailer does not first validate email addresses as DokuWiki does.  Instead
it delegates address validation to the SMTP server and reports invalid
addresses.  I'm inclined to apply DokuWiki's validation before handing off to
PHPMailer.

- Multiple recipients are only comma-separated in PHPMailer, whereas DokuWiki
puts each recipient on its own line "to avoid too long headers."  If I try to
sneak returns in they might get encoded.

- PHPMailer does its own text encoding.  PHPMailer auto-chooses among several
different encodings, while DokuWiki always uses "quoted printable."
PHPMailer's quoted printable encoding appears simplistic by comparison to
DokuWiki's.

- PHPMailer has different error messages from DokuWiki and does not provide a
standard code that I might use to translate them into DokuWiki error messages;
what you get is language-specific.  However, I might reverse-translate a few
important error messages.

- DokuWiki's mail_send() allows the caller to pass in raw header text for
inclusion in the message header, but PHPMailer does not appear to support this.
 In PHPMailer you have to name each header separately.  DokuWiki does not
currently take advantage of this mail_send() parameter, but my call out to a
mailer stub would ignore the parameter.

- DokuWiki's mail_send() parameter also accepts a "parameters" parameter of
parameters for the specific mailer.  DokuWiki does not currently use this
parameter, but should it ever use it, that would break DokuWiki's
mailer-independence.  I plan to ignore this parameter too.

Suggestions/advice is welcome!

~joe