[dokuwiki] Re: Migration & Plugin for MoinMoin

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:28:24 +0100

Yann wrote:

There is a huge performance problem in an utf8 function in the RSS code; see
the topic "performance issues", Mario Emmanlauer, march 25.
This has been fixed in development version.

So, as I said, the main problem comes of the parsing of the changelogs. The
way it is actually done _is_ really, really bad, and just is not possible
anymore with a really heavy changes.log. Take the example of a
changes.logwhich is 5mbyte big. Take the example of a page that has
been edited 150
times. The code "latest edits" will do 150 greps on that 5mbyte file, to get
the list of the modifications. Now just imagine, someone spidering the
website; until now we have had approximatively 24000 page édits; that means,
if he downloads all the "last edits" pages, so for 1000 pages, it'll be more
than 24000 grep on a 5Mbyte file. Im not quite surprised the load becomes so
high...

Then there has been the RSS issues, and the antispam feature which is quite
heavy too.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I do remember that note. I guess things tend to get lost in the mailing list. I guess we have to ask more for people to record things as bugs/feature requests so they don't get read and forgotten - I have added it as bug#809.

Good luck.

Chris