[dokuwiki] Re: Has anyone written an RTF -> Dokuwiki converter?

  • From: Jim Seymour <dweswlafroak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:23:41 -0700

Andreas Gohr wrote:
Jim Seymour writes:

I've been slowly posting an old genealogy book on a Dokuwiki site.

The process involves scanning a page, running it through OCR, saving the results as a text file, then hand-editing it to add back in the necessary italics and bold formatting.

What I'd like to do is automate this conversion as much as possible.

Has anyone written a utility to convert simple RTF into Dokuwiki format? (RTF seems the most promising format here - but if there are other converters available, I'm all ears).

Not that I am aware of. But if your RTF is reasonable simple enough, you will probably find a RTF to HTML converter which will produce simple enough HTML to run it through a HTML to DokuWiki converter. Another Method would be to open your RTF in OpenOffice or MS Word and use the available conversion Macros.

Thanks for the heads up on the conversion macro. It seems to be the magic bullet I was looking for. Specifially, this article was very helpful (although it needs some updating for OpenOffice version 2):
   http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/06/1511255

I now have a three-step procedure which gets the job done without too much trouble:

1) Use my OCR software to scan the page and send it to OpenOffice
2) Run the DokuWiki conversion macro
3) Paste into DokuWiki and edit as needed

--
Jim Seymour, http://s560.com