[dokuwiki] Re: Cache Expiry Standardisation

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:38:35 +0100

Andreas Gohr wrote:

Well there are the following lines:

header('Cache-Control: must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0');
header('Pragma: public');

They force the browser to check the files on every request, usually
using an if-modified-since conditional request which will be answered
with a 403 - not changed answer by dokuwiki.
Ah, that makes sense - I am no expert either :)

Rather than another file, local.cache, it could simply touch all the meta/*.cache files. I still think checking the standard dokuwiki & plugin js files implies checking for some one doing development work. CSS files are perhaps different.

A quick bit of profiling showed:

copy of wiki:plugin page from splitbrain

first render with purge=1,  31 x filemtime, total 0.17secs
second render, no purge,  39 x filemtime, total 0.015secs

on another cached page, instructions cached, page rerendered,
39 x filemtime, total 0.0022secs

Obviously not scientific, but I guess we can check as many files as we want.

Thanks.

Chris