[dokuwiki] Re: Behavior change with the new media file manager?

  • From: Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 20:00:01 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Junling Ma <junlingm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> With the new powerful media manager included in Angua, media file management
> does become easier. However, there is a behavior change with the new manager.
> In Rincewind and earlier versions, it is possible to use a plugin to
> intercept the FETCH_MEDIA_STATUS event to handle missing media files. Now
> this is not possible with the new manager: if a media file is missing, the
> Wiki now automatically point the link of the missing media file to the
> manager. Is this the intended behavior from Angua onward? Is there a plan to
> restore the functionality for plugins to handle missing media files?

The idea with this change was that media files are like pages now and
have e.g. a history. So if a file does not exist, there might be old
versions. Or you might want to upload it, creating first the link and
then adding the file. Furthermore there is no real way to get to the
history page of deleted media files except these links and the change
log. Maybe the solution would be to have different media link types,
one that always points to the file, one that points to the file when
it exists, and one that always points to the media manager. The
default could be the first option in order to not to break existing
links. As I don't think we should implement a complicated solution now
between RC and stable, maybe we could just restore the previous
behavior and add these options after the release?

There are also a few more problems - the cache of pages does not
depend on media files which means that when you add the media files
later the link also won't be changed till the cache expires. This is
also why I think we should revert this change and make media links
static again. I think we should add the used media files to the meta
data (and also the index for other features) and make the cache of
pages depend on them after the release.

Michael