[dokuwiki] Re: A couple of observations

  • From: "Anika Henke" <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:24:36 +0200

Hallo List!

> I think it would be good if the HTML generated by docuwiki contained
> better use of CSS tags, i.e. all elements and grouping of elements,
> should have their own <DIV class="x"> or <SPAN class="x"> tag, even if
> they are not used in the default CSS file.

Sorry, but I disagree. I think the generated HTML is nearly perfect for CSS
designing purposes. In my opinion it has a bit too much of CSS-classes. (I
am a big fan of just properly done div-ids and then every element can be
styled by CSS without the use of hardly any other element-classes.)

> The reason for this is that
> then we would have complete control over the look of docuwiki just by
> editing the design.css file, and not having to touch the main.php file
> at all.

You already have that (nearly) complete control!
What exactly do you wish to do, which cannot be done already?

> An example of how powerful this can be can be found in the "css Zen
> Garden"
A bit off topic, but the CSS Zen Garden is unfortunately often mentioned
when referring to CSS based layouts. But there are much, much better
examples out there ...
(Haven't got any links at hand at the moment.)

> All of the designs you see there
> use the same html file, only the CSS file is different. The advantages
> of this are obvious - we would only have to modify a single file to make
> visual changes to docuwiki [...]

Again, you can already do this with DokuWiki!

Anika