[dmusofties] Re: Testing

  • From: Paul Kennerley <kennerley_paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmusofties@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:30:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi Folks,

This seems a good point to post my first message.

As Nick said, my idea was to create some kind of
"community" for ex software engineering students.

I had in mind a web site, and message board etc where
we could post useful information, let each other know
about job offers, ask for help and advice regarding IT
stuff etc and also arrange to meet up frequently. And
no, my plan wasnt to use it to argue how much better
Linux is than windows ;-)

I also thought that the more people involved, the more
active the "community" would be, so I thought that it
would be god to open it up to all software engineering
graduates, regardless of when the graduated.

If people are interested in carrying on with this
idea, then I suggest that we do not attempt to get the
university "officially" involved (apart from getting
dave and Ian to pass the details on to all software
engineers as they graduate).

My main reason for this is that I reckon the
university would try and take control and either a)
make money out of it somehow, or b) use it for
marketing purposes. I would prefer to see it as a
community run by soft eng grads for soft eng grads. I
would be interested to hear other peoples views on
this.

If anyone is interested in this, then how about
posting your views, and also a little bit about what
you have been up to since graduating.

Right, so I spose I should also do the same. After
graduating, I went backpacking though Australia and
New Zealand, after which I went back to DMU to do an
MSc in Distributed Systems Integration (if anyone is
interested in it, you get a bursary of £5K and course
fees paid). In October I'm off back to CERN to work as
an Oracle and Java code monkey.

Cheers

Paul

--- Michael Timoney <hells_weapon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is just to check if the subscription worked.
> However assuming it does:
>
> How are you all? I haven't heard from you all in
> ages.

> All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let
> our SpamGuard protect you.

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html