[disdads] PTO Election May 16

  • From: Chris Irwin Davis <chrisirwindavis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: disdads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:23:15 -0400

DIS Dads,

The election for the PTO Board of Directors is tomorrow, Thursday May 16 at
7:00pm in the Churchill campus gym.
I believe it's really important for the dads to be well represented at this
meeting.
With a new headmaster joining DIS this August, the selection of new board
members is even more important this year than ever.

As the new 2013-2014 DIS Dads Club Recruitment Chair you're going to be hearing
from me a lot over the next year to exhorting all of you guys to PARTICIPATE!
To set an example for participation, I'm also running for PTO President, and
while I'd really appreciate your vote, the most important thing is your
attendance tomorrow and your support for DIS!

Allez les Tigres!
Chris

Chris Irwin Davis, Ph.D.
Candidate for PTO President

My wife Melanie and I have a daughter, Meaghan, in CP. We have been at DIS for
two years. Our son Montgomery will begin MAT1 in the Fall of next year. During
this time I already have an extensive record of service to the school. I have
been a regular participant in the DIS Dad’s Club, volunteering in several
events including the Fall Carnival, Father-Daughter Dance, and the Spring
Campus Cleanup. Most recently, I became the 2013-2014 membership recruitment
chair for the Dad’s Club. I have strong skills that I will bring the PTO
Presidency in three important relevant areas:
Leadership Experience. In my career, I’ve managed several teams in global
multicultural environments, including one in Nice, France. In that job, I
studied French at the Alliance Française for four years. During my Ph.D.
studies, I was elected President of the UTD Computer Science Graduate Student
Association for two consecutive terms. I successfully represented over 500
graduate students. I acted as liaison to both UTD faculty as well as industry
outreach. I maintain my strong connections to UTD leadership that I will
leverage to strengthen the alliance between DIS and UTD.
Communication and Diplomacy Experience. In my professional roles as a director
of business development and customer account manager, I have been effective in
both resolving high stakes adversarial situations and in negotiating deals with
Fortune 500 companies. Additionally, I have formal HR training that will inform
a better understanding of teacher and administration relationships.
Pedagogical Experience. My background as a graduate teaching assistant gave me
experience with student tutoring, grading, and counseling. I was also involved
in course design and syllabus creation. For two years I as an National Science
Foundation (NSF) program manager for a GK-12 project, which teaches science and
technology in after school programs to PISD and RISD middle school students. I
complete a full series of classes in teaching pedagogy as well as two full
courses of FERPA certification training. Finally, as UTD CSGSA President, I
participated with ECS faculty in matching course content to learning objectives
for university department ABET accreditation.