[directmusic] Re: direct music website

  • From: "Bjorn Lynne" <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:41:46 +0100

> Hi Bjorn,
>
> I seem to remember you mentioning some time ago that you were considering
> setting up a website as an extension of the DM list. I was thinking that
> perhaps we should join forces and get it done. I can provide our plugin,
> some music, and perhaps a mechanism for having online demo-able versions
of
> game music referenced in the site.
>
> Content should I guess be in roughly the following areas:
>
> 1. DM background, technology etc
> 2. Resources for composers (if we are able to reproduce MS whitepapers etc
> that could be useful)
> 3. DirectMusic-ography of games and whatever else that uses it (with
> playable DM perhaps, if we can find a good way of doing it, probably a
> little mini player with assignable trigger buttons or something like
> that...)
> 4. Something aimed at developers and publishers to help them find people
> like us to do their music! Profiles of people involved, could be tied in
> a "Latest Titles" kind of thing, focussing on whatever's coming out and
who
> did it.
> 5. Section on online DM (maybe not a section in it's own right, but under
> technology).
>
> Obviously we wouldn't want to spend enormous amounts of time and money on
> it, and personally I think my contribution would mostly likely be outside
of
> normal business. I'm sure with the people participating on the list we can
> find contributions in the relevant areas of art etc without spending any
> money.
>
> I think it could be a valuable thing not just for sharing information, but
> also for helping us win over developers and publishers, generate good
press,
> and generally advance our cause!
>
> What do you think?

Hi Ciaran,

Yep, that's just the kind of thing I had in mind. I just haven't got around
to it yet. I just returned from a short honeymoon in Amsterdam (I got
married 6 days ago at the Norwegian embassy in Holland.!!), and tomorrow
morning I have to get up at 4am and set off at 4:30 am, travelling to
Helsinki Finland, where I will hold a seminar/speech on DirectMusic, as part
of the Assembly convention up there. I'll be gone for 4 days.

I'll get cracking on an early draft for a web site in the next couple of
weeks or so.

Cheers,
- Bjorn