[directmusic] Re: backwards compatibility with xact...

  • From: "Scott Morgan" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:15:54 -0700

Sorry things are moving slow...I believe we will have this fixed hopefully
soon.

And Todor actually responded but it seems to have been rejected:

"Yes, Scott is right. SP1 disables bank selection unless running in GS mode,
which means that DLS, XG, etc., instrument selection will only work with the
first 128 instruments. Which, not only means that DLS won't work for 99% of
the cases, but if you try to use those addresses that do work, you are
conflicting with GM.

But, there is a work around: Send a GS On sysex message and that will fool
it into thinking your application is using GS instruments, in which case it
will support bank selects and your DLS instruments will work again.

If your app uses more than one channel group, you will need to send that
sysex message on each one. (You can do this by sending one on each
audiopath, as long as the audiopath has no more than 16 channels.)

Todor"