[directmusic] Re: Audiopath question

  • From: "Todor Fay" <todor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 22:27:16 -0700

Yes, a shared audiopath does not use any additional CPU if nothing is
playing in it. When something plays, the only additional CPU is the
software synth rendering each note.

The CPU overhead of the buffer is the overhead to stream audio data and
processing through any effects in the buffers (for example the reverb.)

The disadvantage of a shared path is you end up sharing any changes you
apply to the buffers. For example, if you call SetFrequency() on the
buffer, it will shift the pitch of all audiopaths sharing that one
buffer. Likewise, changing a DMO setting, for example Reverb.

I hope this helps,

Todor