[delphizip] Volume-readonly checking is too harsh, blocking writable situations.

  • From: Patrick Kolla <patrick.kolla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:11:54 +0100

Just downloaded the latest 179 download to verify its not an old bug,
but still persisted, so I'm reporting it here:

Unit ZMWrkr.pas:, function TZMWorker.CheckDestWritable tests:

 if XP and FVolumeReadOnly then    // XP only - true if volume Read-Only
 begin
   if not NoExc then
     raise EZipMaster.CreateResDrive( DS_NotChangeable, xname);
   exit;
 end;

This is wrong in some situations - on NTFS volumes, writable volumes
might be mounted into folders of readonly drives (instead of drive letters).
Another example would be Windows PE 2.0 (Vista based) bootable CDs where
a RAM disk gets mounted on a drive that is detected as readonly but that
is writable.

And after debugging bootable CDs for some hours to track this error,
I'ld say that "cannot write to" is just not the proper error message for
this case, at least a hint at the reason, and that you cannot cannot,
but do not want to would be nice, like "The target volume is readonly;
will not write to %s".