[delphizip] Re: Span volume problems

  • From: "James Turner" <james.d.h.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 01:07:28 -0000

Surely, if the central directory is wholly on the last disk (this may be a big
if) only the last disk needs to be read in order to get a directory listing.
This can be established by reading the EndOfDir record and comparing the values
ThisDiskNo and CentralDiskNo (field names may vary). The worst case scenario is
that all disks between these two values need to be read (in practice this
should never be more than 2 disks).

That said, the issue of extracting files across disk boundaries is an
interesting one. The most elegant way to solve this would be to create a
special stream type capable of prompting for disk changes, opening and closing
files, etc. (I have this in mind for some code of my own in the future).
However, I'm certainly not about to suggest that, given existing code, it would
be sensible to move in that direction.

-- James Turner
www.skaro.net

PS
Regarding file erasure (instead of format) on hard disks. I believe that you
should NEVER erase files on (or format) a hard disk.