[delphizip] Creating as SFX EXE... the saga continues

  • From: Randall Sell <randallsell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 04:09:52 -0700 (PDT)

A few months back I had a series of correspondence with Mr turner, etc about
AVs and other "weird" behaviour using the SFX feature.
As it turns out, When I defined STATIC_LOAD_DELZIP_DLL in ZipConfig.inc - life
got a lot better. I realized that static binding appears to be your default
(how you release it) and hence is probably how most of the testing was done as
well.

so I am fairly confident that dynamic binding is what caused all my SFX
headaches. I'm simply advising in the hopes that someone will investigate this
further. But I can live with Static binding for now.

but, that raises a question...

I can still do zipMaster.sfxZip.Dll_Load := true; - which will do nothing as
the SetDll_Load checks it so it is OK. But a call to sfxZip.Dll_Load := false
*does* unload the DLL. At least as far as I can tell from tracing the source.
Doesn't that create an inconsistency? Static loading, but it is unloaded? I
haven't tested it, but aren't you just asking for trouble the enxt time you
attempt to zip something since the dll has been unloaded?

Finally, one last note. the whole reason I was tinking with DLL_Load was
because my SFX needs the Delzip179.dll itself and hence I needed to be able to
reference DLL_Path - which is only available if the DLL is loaded. So, as a
suggestion, may I request that this function e modified to return the DLL_Path
- even if the DLL is not loaded? That would be handy, and it probably would
have sorted out my issue in the first place.

kind regards,
-randall