[ddots-l] Re: unlocking the mp3 encoder

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:56:23 -0500

Hi Neville,

I use Switch to convert to MP3 files, and it works fine. The only thing I'm puzzled about is that when it converts a file, it writes a double extension. In other words, the file will come out named as File Name.mp3.tmp. I posted a message here a while back on this to see if anyone had any ideas as to what's going on there, but I haven't received any feedback.

The simplest way to set this up is to go into switch and set your parameters. After that, go into Sonar's tools menu and go to the external encoder configuration utility. From there it's pretty self-explanatory in what's required there. You'll have to type in the parameters in the command line field; make sure that you fill in the field where it wants a path to the folder containing the Switch executable file. Another thing about Switch is that you'll need to purchase the full version if you want to continue to use the command line features as the freeware version will only allow so many times that you can use it this way. If you have any other questions, etc, get with me off-list. I like this program as it's accessible, and it'll convert to a wide variety of audio formats.

In the meantime, if anybody has any idea what's up with this double extension crap, I'd love to hear from you. Right now I'm just renaming the converted files manually, and they work fine.

Cheers!

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neville Peter" <neville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>