[ddots-l] Re: jazz fake book

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:45:44 -0400

At 11:09 AM 8/10/2010, you wrote:
Chris thanks for the great tips! I actually have band in a box and am trying to learn the program... Do you use that program?

Yep, I sure do. Although, I don't use most of its features. Mainly I use it to learn tunes and to practice with. They add new bells and whistles with every new release, but mostly, i just use it to enter a tune or play tunes others have already entered, and do things like change the key, the tempo, or the style while practicing. You can also mute individual parts like piano or bass, if you wanted to fill in those parts with your playing.

If you're a Jaws user, jackie McBride developed some scripts for Band-in-A-Box that make it a little more user-friendly. I just checked my system and unfortunately, I don't have the original zip file, but you can get it from:
http://www.abletec.serverheaven.net/

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to look for a list of all the keyboard shortcuts in the Band-in-a-Box user's Guide. And, read about how to type chords into the chord grid.

Basically, the steps are:
1. Type in the chords to a tune.
2. Enter the melody from an attached midi keyboard or just
3. Pick a style like swing, pop, Latin etc. from the style menu's list of 25 popular styles, or from the Style Picker. and 4. Press Play, and Band-in-a-box generates yoru accompaniment and start playing it.

Also, are those books that you listed something that we can read...

The Harmony with Lego Bricks book is usually just available in print, but the author was kind enough to send me an accessible copy in Microsoft Word format. This was a few years ago and hopefully he's still willing to do this. The publisher's site is down for reconstruction so I couldn't look up his e-mail. I'll ask around and get back to you on that.

The insights in Jazz book is available as a password-protected pdf file from the author and as far as I can tell, is accessible.

I should warn you that these two books are more about learning large numbers of tunes and keeping track of it all mentally. They aren't books full of chord changes like a fakebook. And, they go against the grain of how much of this is tought in jazz programs in colleges like Berklee. It isn't a better or worse approach really, just different. :)

Where can I get that Keith Jerrid's standards trio.

Any record store, iTunes, Amazon etc. Keith jarrett has a huge catalog but his standards trio with Gary Peacock on bass and Jack Dijohnette on drums is devoted to just playing great versions of standard tunes. They have many CD's/dvd's out with names like Standards volume 1, Standards Volume 2 etc. Don't limit yourself to jarrett though - basically, listen to anything and everything you can get your hands on. :)

My pastor plays guitar with me.

Ah ok, so you are both playing guitar?
If so, I can give you a list of jazz guitar duo recordings to check out.

How do I access the yahoo group to get files to use with biab,

just send a blank email to:
band-in-a-box-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

and are we allowed to play using other files that we get from the internet?

As far as I know, you cannot copyright a rhythm or a chord progression, only a melody. So, you're safe as long as your backing tracks are only playing rhythm and chords. The melody and the lyrics are the copyrighted bits. I'm pretty sure that's correct - someone please let me know if I'm wrong there.

Chris