[ddots-l] Re: headphones shopping

  • From: Nickus de Vos <bigboy529@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:58:31 +0200

Firstly Johan no I'm from South Africa
Unfortunatly all headphones will be fatigueing on the ears if warn for
long times in fact whering headphones for very long is actually bad
for you. As an example radio DJs gets a lot of ear infections and
generally also suffers more hearing damage.

If you plan to mix with the headphones for let's say a 6 hour perioud
yes then your ears will get very tired because they are actually not
for mixing but only referencing or 30 minuts or a hours work would be
just fine.

I mostly do rock, alternative and even a bit of metal and pop stuff
and the frequency responce is really flat across the range, there is
no anoying peaks which bothers me however if you plan to mix with the
headphones only and you don't have monitors, you're going the wrong
way. If you want headphones mostly for mixing then I'll recommend the
more expensive HD650. These are also open back so won't work as well
for monitoring while recording yourself. The HD650 is a lot more
comfortable to ware for longer periouds of time and better for mixing.

I personally use my headphones for monitoring while recording speach
like voiceovers, I also use them as monitors for artists and then also
to reference on while mixing but I don't exclusivly use them for
mixing, I'll just put the headphones on every once in a while to check
the mix etc. As I said if you want something more for mixing then get
the HD650.sometimes also use