[ddots-l] Re: fantom x

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 03:11:45 -0400

Hi Omar,

I think you can chain songs together, but again, it's gonna be a bitch if you
have no way of interacting with the instrument. I'll tell ya what, for the
amount of time I spent trying to deal with it, I can't remember how to get into
it to do basic editing. . Pathetic, huh? I'm very thankful that I discovered
the world of Sonar and CakeTalking - or I would've been out of the music
business by now due to frustration for not having decent accessibility to basic
functionality, much less editing and so forth.

One thing that I didn't mention is that the Fantom provides a means of creating
shortcuts to get you into the menus. I believe that you use the Shift button
and a pad combination to activate the shortcut. You can assign menus to pads,
but it doesn't take you to sub-menus within the menu. At first I thought that
you could go to whatever position within the hierarchical structure and record
that to a pad; it's kind of like adding favorites to your Web browser.
Unfortunately that's not exactly what happens; it might have been the intent of
the software developer to have it actually do it. I figured that out the hard
way; I ended up messing up some edits that I spent several hours on. Believe
me, I was not a happy camper - especially when I had work that needed to get
done to meet a deadline.

Mike