[ddots-l] Re: difference between miditracks and synthtracks

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:22:00 -0400

Hi, no matter which of the 2 you use, it's still a midi track. Midi is the
standard used for controller instruments, virtual or real. In a daw like
sonar you either have audio data (something recording from a sound source),
or midi data, something recorded using a keyboard, or by inputting data with
the step sequencer etc.
The difference between an instrument track and a pair of audio and midi
track for a soft synth is the following:
An instrument track combines both midi and audio tracks into 1 track,
therefore reducing clutter to the track view. It is still midi and audio,
just combined behind the sceens.
A pair of 2 tracks has 1 audio track for your soft synth to send it's
output, and 1 midi track for you to record the data that the synth is going
to play back; to controll it.
When using an external keyboard, you use a midi track only to controll it,
but when it comes time to record the complete project, you still need to use
an audio track to record your keyboard's performance into sonar. Since you
only have a midi controller and are using soft synths, this doesn't concern
you now; I would recommend using a pair of midi and audio tracks, they give
you greater flexibility, and if down the line you wanted to say switch the
sound source to an external module or another soft synth, you just reroute
the midi track and you're done...

If you'd like more help with this or would like some tutoring, contact me
off list, I can help! My email is djx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regards, D!J!X!

  _____