[ddots-l] Re: accessible sysex? + my thoughts on the Novation X-Station

  • From: Stacy Blackwell <stacy.blackwell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:29:10 -0500

Sorry that I can't offer any advice to you, Stacy, but your questions deal with
things I know nothing about, but I have heard of a vocoder.  What is that
exactly?

From: sbleeks@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ddots-l] accessible sysex? + my thoughts on the Novation X-Station
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:19:52 -0400

Hi,
Apparently I can store my Novation X-Station sounds using a Sysex program.
Before I go fishing for sysex programs, does anyone know of a good/accessible
sysex program?

By the way, I think the Novation X-Station is a good virtual analog synthesizer
with it's  realtime knobs, faders, effects a joystick effect controller and an
effect touch pad + the X-Station can be used as a  midi controller and a 2
channel audio controller allowing you to use the built in X-Station effects.
It's not perfect but dam it's fun!

There are only 200 synth patch banks, meaning that when you create a new sound
you have to write over an existing sound unless you have the original sound
backed up on a sysex program.

The X-Station came out in 2005 but there isn't really anything else like it.  I
know, because I've been looking.  If you find anything as versatile, with as
many dedicated knobs and faders, amazing overall feel, let me know.

I bought the Microkorg Xl and took it back before the 30 days was up.  It's
okay but only 3 assignable knobs and the effects are weak although the vocoder
was fun.  So, I recorded a vocoder based track and took the Microkorg back.  I
mean how many vocoder based tracks can ya record right?

So, please sen me the name of a good/accessible sysex program if you know of
one.

Thanks,
Stacy

http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_042009