[ddots-l] Re: Upgrading xp questions

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 00:10:13 -0500

No. You have 4 gigs installed, but windows 32 bit only can use/see 3.25.
When you install 64 bit windows, you'll have all 4 available. Note that
windows 64 does use 2gb of minimum recommended memory, while 32 only needs 1
or 1.5. I mention this because while it can see more, 64bit also requires a
bit more. For daw use I'd say 8gb minimum, 6gb if you are running an x58
platform (triple channel).

If you are a heavy sample user or do allot of memory intensive tasks, 16
might be a better option, but it all depends on your board, platform, CPU
etc.

Also, note that 64 bit windows will also require 64bit compatible drivers
for your hardware, and in some cases software.

Also note that allot of 32bit direct x plugs will note work under 64bit
windows/sonar. They might still work with 32bit sonar, not sure, I went full
64bit years ago and haven't looked back.

HTH, D!J!X!