[ddots-l] Re: To anyone using Garritan all corrections sorted

  • From: "Steve Wicketts" <steve.wicketts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 16:48:02 +0100

Hi Mike,

One thing to watch out for with Garritan is, most midi instruments have CC1
(Control change 1) for modulation. Garritan foolishly decided that CC1 would be
volume instead.
It's a Stupid thing to do as if you have say a digital piano with no modulation
or pitch bend wheels, the chances are when you switch the piano on, it will
reset midi CC1 to value 0 equals no volume.
They should have left volume on CC7.

If you understand a little about control changes, I put below a little info
which will help make a couple of the trumpets sound a little more believable.

Release Effects (CC#15): Trumpets in a jazz context often release notes in
unusual ways. The three most common are: "falloffs," "doits," and "kisses." In

Jazz & Big Band these effects can be chosen with CC#15. They are switched as
follows:

Table with 2 columns and 4 rows

Value 0-32

Off