[ddots-l] Sonar's CPU meter Versus Windows Performance?

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 21:28:27 -0400

Hi folks.

This is in Win7 X64, Sonar 8.53 x 64, with a large project, 24-bit 96K, lots of plug-ins etc.

I'm seeing wildly different numbers between Sonar's CPU meter and Windows Task Manager. Like, Sonar reports 90%, Windows reports around 30%.

I have the box set in sonar to use the multiprocessing engine, along with the box next to it which says something like "use mmcs for Vista". I have relatively high latency settings in the Saffire Control Pannel.

I'm not experiencing playback glitches, but I'm trying to understand why Sonar would report that I'm almost out of CPU, whereas Windows Task Manager suggests I have lots more to spare.

Has anybody else ran into this one?

Note: machine is new and quite powerful - AMD Phenom x 4 at 3.4GHz, 16GB ram, audio drive formatted with 64K clusters etc.

Thanks for any suggestions/explanations. I'm off to look around the Cakewalk forums too.

Chris