[ddots-l] Skype. Was: Am I in over my head?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:34:51 +0100

Come on guys!  Do please change the Subject line when
appropriate!

Skype (note the spelling) is what is known as Voice Over
Internet Protocol, or VOIP.  Let me try and explain in
simple terms.

Skype is software which lets you talk to another Skype user
anywhere in the world absolutely free of charge.  For best
performance it is best to have ADSL or Broadband, although
it does work with dial-up connections.  You can also call
from your PC to a telephone, but you do have to pay for this
service, albeit it at a much cheaper rate in most cases than
a normal telephone call.

All you need is a sound card in your system, speakers, and a
microphone, which I imagine most of us have.

You then need to download and install some software from
www.skype.com.

I won't try and explain the installation here, but suffice
to say it is fairly simple.

And for those of you with sighted family and friends, you
can now add a web camera option, so you can be seen while
you talk.

As I'm writing this, I can see that here are 1,724,028
people talking on Skype right now.  At weekends, it gets way
over two and a half million.

George.