[ddots-l] Re: Looking for a more comprehensive mailing list

  • From: David <dheilman1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:59:40 -0700

Hello Chris,

To answer your questions, first let me say, I am still very much a rookie with Groove Agent, and using Sonar. With that said, so far Groove Agent seems to allow a fair amount of control over what patterns or Fills are played, and while I haven't gotten this far yet, your even able to create your own patterns from any of the various Drum and Percussion samples.

As far as using Groove Agent in Sonar, Yes it works, although you will need to run something called Directexer. (Forgive the mis spelling)

Like most things done in Sonar, it seems that you have to work a little harder to accomplish what it is your attempting to pull off. A sighted user of Groove Agent will have Virtual Sliders and Knobs to manipulate with their Mouse, and you the Blind user will need to jump through some minor hoops to get yourself to some menus, which you can Tab and Arrow through.

Groove Agent is a VST Soft Synth and it will be listed in the list of other Soft Synths under the Sonar Insert menu. When you choose Groove Agent from this list you will then go to the View menu and choose Synth Rack.

On my screen a small window appears in the upper left corner of the screen. I have to make this window larger by pressing ALT and the Space bar at the same time, and then choosing to maximize the window. I then arrow down to Groove agent and press the Enter key.

This then brings me to a menu with a number of buttons along with a List. Tab to this list and start Arrowing down and you can hear all of the choices that would normally be controlled by those Knobs and Sliders.

The manual says that Groove Agent will let the user construct a Drum track in about 3 minutes. this might be true if your sighted and you know what your doing. In my case, I am still in Diapers and know just enough to be either Dangerous or quite Confused, usually both!

I would guess my speed will increase as I learn Groove Agent better.

I can say this, Groove Agent gives you a Ton of  possibilities for drums.

One of the cool things about Groove Agent is that it has a number of Drum kits that reduplicate the sounds of kits from the early 50's to the late 90's. For myself, I sometimes get a kick out of playing a guitar chord pattern that is used in a song written in the 20's or 30's. Yeah, way back there in time. I can use the Drum kit that sounds like some of those old time drum kits, or I can play a modern pattern on that old drum kit. Or I can play an old pattern style on a drum kit that is fairly modern. Like I said, there is a ton of variety.
I'm sorry, but I only have heard the name Gigastudio and do not know what this program does. I may be able to better answer that part of your question when I get some more expertise. Right now I'm still on my Honeymoon with Groove Agent, and I'm just amazed at all Groove Agent seems to offer. As with most programs that I use on the computer, there is always some part of that program that is very unfriendly to screen readers. Sometimes a work around can be found, and sometimes not. I'm sure Groove Agent has its ugly side and those unsightly aspects will make themselves evident as I continue to blunder my way through this program.

Right now I am learning Sonar, Groove agent, as well as how to record everything. I know less than I should know for what I am trying to do. But I am excited and can see the up side of all of this and just need to be willing to try things, and then try other things if those don't first work out.

Cheers!

David H.

At 12:28 PM 7/9/2005, you wrote:
David, although midi is in the name of the midimag list, micing, guitar topics, and general accessibility concerns come up all the time. Give it a try.

and now a question. Is Groove Agent a VST Synth? How accessible is it from within Sonar and can it play drum sounds in a program like GigaStudio?

thanks
Chris