[ddots-l] Re: Command Prompt Question

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 16:37:39 -0400

If you go in to the Security Essentials user interface, you have options for

1. Controlling the schedule that is used for determining when to scan the
computer. Just set it to 5 AM, or some other time when you're usually not
recording.
2. Exclude locations from scanning. In "the program files" folder, you should
exclude your Sonar folder and your Jaws folder. If you don't, then every time
you open/load a Sonar plug in, and typically when you switch applications,
Security Essentials will rescan those files to be sure they're safe before
they're loaded. This needlessly slows down everything you do in Sonar.

Antivirus software will slow down your computer. You can tweak things to reduce
the impact, but your computer will be slower. The difference doesn't usually
matter for e-mail or web browsing, but audio apps feel the effects to a
stronger degree.

If your computer is online, though, running without antivirus software is a big
risk, even though you pay for running it with a slower computer.

You can't be safe by turning off your network connection while antivirus
software is disabled. The virus may already be on your computer.

When we say to run DAWs with no network connection, that is so nothing ever
gets in. If the connection goes up and down, then you may as well have it on
all the time.

If you can't keep your DAW off of the network for one reason or another, then
you need antivirus software. You should be able to speed it up a bit, though.

Bryan