[ddots-l] Cal script for randomly shortening note durations

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:17:49 -0500

In my last post I asked about ways to randomize note durations to give a "human feel" to a piece. Well, compulsive ex-programmer that I am, I looked into the CAL (Cakewalk Application Language) and found out enough to modify some existing cal scripts to do the following:

randomly Shorten note durations in a selected area by a value in the range of X ticks to Y ticks, where x & Y are values you supply in a dialog box.

So, running the cal script, and entering 10 ticks for the lower limit & 30 ticks for the upper limit would decrease each notes duration by somewhere between 10 & 30 ticks.

The script could be modified to randomly lengthen notes, o for that matter, randomly lengthen or shorten notes.

This script really helps to make certain instruments like violins sound less "perfect" and so, more human.

Any interested in the script can contact me off-list.