[softwarelist] Re: Win OvPro Import and OvPro on RISC-OS

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 23:46:36 +0100

In message <503a878a8basgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Keith Hopper <asgard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <gemini.kgck9l00elntj03v8.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Ray Dawson <ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Robin Phillips <robin-phillips@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Also, now that Microsoft lap-tops are producing files in a format
>>> which has the extension .DOCX it would be very good if one could deal
>>> with such files, instead of having to go back to whoever sent them and
>>> ask them to save them in an older version of Word.

>> I think you will find that they are a PK compressed XML file so perhaps
>> easier to write a converter for than earlier Word versions.

>      They are indeed - OpenOffice handles them fine. Beware, however, that
> they are a sort of MS-munged Open Document Format

No, it is a completely separate format not related to Open Document
Format in any way.

>  - which therefore isn't exactly open -

Of course, it is. It is an ISO standard and the specification is
freely available. As Ray wrote above, in principle that should make it
rather easier to write a converter than for the previous proprietory
formats, but the slight drawback is that the specification has around
6000 pages, so just trying to read through it takes quite a bit of
time, not to mention trying to implement all of it.

Martin