[softwarelist] Re: Image display quality in DPlingscan

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:55:04 +0100

In message of 23 Apr, Dave Barnett <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I'll now go and have another try at scanning some family
> trees that I found in an old book.

I have taken several hints from a company, now dormant, called
ArchiveCDBooks.  They scanned loads of old books, many with family
trees. They achieved very readable and relatively small files using
their overhead book scanner.  They probably had superior software to
clean up the images.  But I have found that the better part of their
results can use achieved with Imagemaster (call a spade a spade) by
following their practices:

  (a) scan at 200 dots per inch,
  (b) scan in black and white.

You may have to adjust the brightness for difficult documents and very
difficult ones will have to go to grey-scale.  I use no error
correction.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/