[softwarelist] Re: Image display quality in DPlingscan

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:05:00 +0100

In message <a9ba75944f.Dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Barnett <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

If I scan an image, the display quality is sometimes disappointing.
If now I drop the saved file into Netsurf, the image is much sharper,
it doesn't matter what format is used to save. There is a similar
effect with images from other sources. I don't know how images sent
across the Web appear.

As I sometimes use DPlingscan to change image file types or to change
the size or dpi., I would like a more instant view of what to expect.
Can I get a better image display?

RPC-SA, RISC OS 4.39, RAM 128M, vRAM 1M.  DPlingScan 1.24.

You get the best image quality by selecting the Magnify tool and clicking on "rational".

(Or set the dpi values on the info palette to 90 and press return).

Yes images don't always appear on screen as good as they can look, or as good as they actually are. This is true of DPScan but also happens in other programs.

All I can suggest as a quick check, is in DPScan (on RISC OS) use the Edit->Scale facility and set the destination to 90 dpi, you can undo out of this.

With on screen display there is a trade off between how fast the display is and how good the quality. You can see that the DPScan scale function takes some time.

It is possible of course to have some sort of clever scheme that uses fast rendering immediately and then if the image is visible for long enough a better scaling and rendering. Sorry to say this is yet another feature that didn't get done.

JPEG being a "lossy" format can degrade your images, all other formats are "loss less" so you get out exactly what you put in.