[softwarelist] Re: A quiet time?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 12:18:37 +0100

Yes it has been a quiet time - you've not missed anything. There is now a web interface to the mail list, so you can see if your email system is working:

//www.freelists.org/archives/davidpilling

in RISC OS 5 (which I've mentioned before) but I'm not quite sure how that
would only affect OvPro - unless that's doing a lot of code execution
within wimp polls or something?

Some comments. If you have a 60MB document then it is possible that a change (however simple) will result in almost 60MB of memory being shifted so if you're really worried about lazy task swopping there is scope.

Shifting such a lot of memory allows scope for other problems - bugs in the program included.

As to the specific case of pictures. Copying a picture within a document does not use a lot of memory, since only a reference is copied. You should be able to see this from the document size (File menu or button bar i).

You can copy pictures in three ways - by drag and drop (double click select, ALT+drag), dropping a picture save box (from the OP menu) on to a frame, or finally via the clipboard.

It is obvious that in the first two cases, OP knows that the source picture is in the destination document, so it is easy for it to not copy the actual image but to just reference it.

If you go via the clipboard then it is not so easy to handle references, I believe that later versions of OP do work out the reference. However there will still be a copy of the image on the clipboard - i.e. a substantial use of memory.

I've described all this because how much memory an operation uses is usually proportional to how likely it is to go wrong. References use little memory, copies of images use a lot.

My feeling is that things would be less likely to crash and more responsive if you referenced all the images in the document - here I'm using "reference" in a different sense to above - I mean using the feature of OP that lets you leave images on disc, separate from the document.

-- David Pilling email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx web: http://www.davidpilling.net post: David Pilling P.O. Box 22 Thornton Cleveleys Blackpool. FY5 1LR UK fax: +44(0)870-0520-941