[ctw] Re: Planning to move to ASSP

  • From: Tom Shaw <tshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:02:01 -0400

At 11:08 AM -0500 3/12/09, Brian Harvey wrote:
on 3/12/09 8:18 AM, Cory Rau at cory@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 1. ASSP has been great.

I think that I've come to the right place...so I'm planning to move from CA
to ASSP in the coming weeks.

Looking to replaced Counteragent, SimpleText Filter, Denes and all the DNSBL
filters. Also, looking at moving much of the filtering load away from EIMS
to ASSP.

If anybody would like to share their experiences, comments or suggestion on
how to moving a live EIMS server (100+ domains w/ 10,000+ emails per day)
and try to avoid any problems or mistakes.

Equipment located a colo facility:
MacMini G4 1.25GHz running 10.4.11
1 Gig RAM
EIMS 3.39
CA 2.10

Moving to:
MacMini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.5.6
4 Gig RAM

Brian

I love ASSP and that with ClamAV has been GREAT.

What I would do is config the intel for assp and get it up and running and proxing for eims on the G4 and then change MX on a single domain to get your feet wet. Eventually move all MX. Not a new DNS name for smtp might be advisable .

Now check the assp load (I expect it will be light as I am showing < 2% on a old G4 mini for 7500 per day)

While doing this you might consider establishing a dns name for smtp and another for imap/pop but thats your call

Based upon load you might move hasty on as I know that has a very low CPU footprint. If you have another webmail its your call. Install SSL for pop/imap

Install eims onto your intel and configure it for collocation with assp (turn off rules, greylist, etc and and establish new ports

Drop TTL on your DNS and inform users of cutover window

When its time to change, quit eims on both, copy mail folder to new machine and start eims.

Viola!

Tom

Now one night or off weekend
--