[cst_2014_board] Thieman Family

  • From: "Andy and Heidi Mechtenberg" <mechtenberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cst_2014_board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 12:10:37 -0600

While the family agrees it did not tell anyone that they were leaving the
team for the season, I feel the proper thing to do would be to tear up the
volunteer check.  I don't think it's in our best interest with this family
at this time to do otherwise.

I had a good talk with John Thieman and he confirmed the items that Amanda
said.  Namely the vortex swim cap, some dry land training and the girl
issue.

Ashlyn had wanted the coaches to give her 90 minutes of dry land exercises
so she could still be there with the team while she did not want to be in
the water.  Amanda had told me that it's too hard to keep an eye on a kid
doing dry land while watching everyone else in the water.  The concern is
that a child can still injure themselves doing dry land - especially
unsupervised.  This may be something we want to work on - as a way to keep
kids on the team and involved while they may be dealing with other things -
injury, asthma, girl stuff.  Just a thought.

Amanda just came across too harsh to this swimmer.  We can't change her
personality, and kids will come in contact with coaches like that all
through their career (think Aaron Thatcher - great coach - difficult
manner).  Some kids will respond to it and others won't.

So - another learning opportunity.  We need to make all of our policies very
obvious - yet keep the door open for compassionate compromise.

I will be leaving town on Thursday and not back until late Tuesday.
Hopefully nothing more comes up during that time that needs immediate
attention.

Yours

-Heidi