[cseb national] Nature Canada Ottawa Job

  • From: "Natalie Helferty" <nhelferty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CSEB National Freelist" <cseb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:50:16 -0400

JOB POSTING - MANAGER OF PROTECTION PROGRAMS

Nature Canada (formerly the Canadian Nature Federation) is one of Canada's
foremost conservation organizations representing over 40,000 individual
supporters and a network of naturalist clubs in over 360 communities across
Canada.  Our mission is to protect nature, its diversity and the processes
that sustain it.  We work at the national level ensuring the establishment
of new protected areas, the maintenance of ecological integrity in existing
protected areas, the conservation of birds, broader biodiversity and
endangered species.  At the international level, we are co-partners in
BirdLife International and provide leadership within the Americas and
globally.

Nature Canada seeks a Manager of Protection Campaigns to develop and deliver
on the organization's various conservation campaigns relating to federal
protected areas, endangered species, and Important Bird Areas.  This is a
full-time position located in Ottawa.

Qualifications

The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years of relevant
experience.  They will be passionate about protecting wilderness and should
possess a university degree (preferably at the Master's level) in a relevant
discipline (e.g. geography, environmental studies, conservation biology,
political science).  They will have excellent verbal and written
communication skills.  They are a team player, but have the ability to work
independently.  The ideal candidate's qualifications will include:

*       Experience in strategizing, developing and implementing all facets
of public policy campaigns

*       Experience in advancing environmental policy with politicians,
government officials, industry representatives, and the media

*       An in-depth understanding of federal law and policy relating to
nature protection

*       Experience in advancing collaborative partnerships and in working
within coalitions

*       Experience and/or an appreciation of working within the
not-for-profit community

*       Demonstrated fundraising ability

Capacity to work in French and knowledge of conservation biology, the
Canadian political system and environmental impact assessment are assets.

Responsibilities

The Manager of Protection Programs will be responsible for strategy, program
development, and delivery of Nature Canada's various nature protection
campaigns related to:

*       The creation of new national parks in Canada and the preservation of
their ecological integrity;

*       The expansion and effective protection of Canada's network of
national wildlife areas, migratory bird sanctuaries, and marine wildlife
areas;

*       The effective implementation of the federal Species at Risk Act;
and,

*       Advancing the protection on priority Important Bird Areas across the
country

The position involves working closely with Nature Canada staff, our
provincial affiliated nature organizations, other conservation
organizations, government, industry representatives, local communities, and
the broader public.  The position involves working regularly to raise media
attention with respect to the various issues.  The position also involves
nurturing funding opportunities.

Expressions of Interest

Please send your c.v. and a letter explaining why you are interested in this
position, how you meet the qualifications, and your salary expectations by
October 01, 2004 to:

Attention: Manager of Protection Programs Position

Nature Canada

Suite 606, 1 Nicholas Street

Ottawa, ON  K1Y 0N4

fax: 562-3371

e-mail: mpaton@xxxxxx

For more information on Nature Canada, visit www.cnf.ca <http://www.cnf.ca/>
.

Although we appreciate receiving all applications, only those candidates we
wish to interview will be contacted.